Monday 6 August 2012

Open University

My current course is Design and Designing and I'm just coming up to the last month of study and my last assignment, which is also the largest, before I sit the exam in October.

This is my second module in the Degree, and I've got two or three more before I get the full Bsc In Design ...  how exiting is this?  I wonder why it's taken me so long to actually realise that this is what I want to do?  I love creating designs and I guess I must be good at it because my lowest assignment score so far has been 90% and my highest 100%.

For this assignment I was given a broad spectrum brief to design a hand tool, either powered or manual.  I knew exactly what I wanted to design and I don't think there is anything on the market already.  I want to create a tool that can be loaded with pins, and pin fabric layers together with just one squeeze of the handle.  I envisage this gizmo speeding up the pinning of material together and making it easier for anyone with weak hands who finds it difficult to manipulate pins and get the through the material.

Would you all be so kind as to complete my survey?

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8TTJXDX

I would be very grateful if you could, and if you know any other sewists, please could you send them the link, the more answers and comments I get, the better my work will be.

Bless you all

3 comments:

  1. The course sounds brilliant and yes, it does take some of us a LONG time to find our true vocation/passion. Now I'm off to do your survey thingy. xCathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry - was too late, but the pin machine sounds a great idea - but should you tell everyone about it like this .... someone might nick your idea? Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's intended to be an academic exercise only - strictly for the Open University assignment. I have to be very careful to stress this as a lot of forums, understandably, don't like commercial products being effectively advertised for free.

    Mind you, anyone trying to nick it would have to get their hands on my research as well and that's hidden at the bottom of a black hole guarded by a six headed dragon - maybe a slight exaggeration.

    ReplyDelete