Friday 25 July 2014

Embroidery on felt

I have spent most of today happily engaged in felt embroidery at The Sewing Space in Hythe, Kent, with none other than Nancy Nicholson as my tutor.  She of the wonderfully colourful folk art embroidery kits

http://www.nancynicholson.co.uk/

Unfortunately my phone died and I forgot my camera, which was annoying, but c'est la vie. 

The other two ladies in the class were a mother and daughter who had travelled from Holland today, especially to take the class.  They had been looking for classes with Nancy for some time as they had come across her work in Country Living, and were really inspired by it.  Inspired enough to start out at 4am our time to get to the class at 10am.  That's dedication  :)

We were making embroidered felt wristlets.  Nancy had prepared instructions, which we hardly needed as she is so good at explaining things and was incredibly helpful and kind.   I haven't done much proper embroidery for some time and it was a challenge to remember the tricks needed to produce the more complicated stitches.  But Nancy was very patient and encouraging and I would really recommend her classes.

Big and little man had gone off for the day, to the beach, feed the ducks (and seagulls) and to the pub to meet a friend for a game of Pool.  Apparently Pool players have to be over 18, so they cheated and played it with their hands so Alex could join in  :)

This is the finished wristlet.  Photo taken at home as soon as the phone had charged enough  :)  Great fun and very rewarding.




2 comments:

  1. Awesome class. You added a comment to my blog today. I have no contacts in the UK so chances are slim. If you want my fabric tho Spoonflower ships to the UK.

    Thx so much
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wristlet is so sweet and I just love those colours you chose - so deep and Autumny! xCathy (is Autumny a word???)

    ReplyDelete