Saturday 20 June 2009

The swift that arrived swiftly .....

This swift is worth my weight in gold, I'm telling you. Last time I tried to wind laceweight yarn by hand I spent hours and ended up with an impenetrable birds nest which was unusable.

This time I bought myself a large skein of pure wool laceweight from Astrid's Dutch Obsessions



Then with the aid of my new swift and my trusty Ebay wool winder I proceeded to wind it off into 7 centre pull balls in about 20 minutes. All I had to do was wind the handle and hold the yarn clear of the arms of the swift - so much easier than doing it by hand. I really, really recommend buying this if you buy a lot of yarn in skein form.








4 comments:

  1. I have been thinking of getting a swift and winder for a while - I have been using my feet and more recently a chair but it takes so long that way. I saw a combo set on ebay but it was an umberella swift any advice on that one? Glad my ramblings were of use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked at umberella swifts as well - I think it's just personal preference. My mum has the same one as I've bought and loved it, which is why I went for that type.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an umbrella swift that I brought on e-bay. It's fine but as it's metal, sometimes laceweight can get caught on it. I've not had much trouble - you just have to be careful when you're winding. It doesn't look as nice as the wooden ones like Claires though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm am tempted but really should save up or put it on the birthday list (along with explicit instructions with how to get it)! I take it you are not in favour of the step ladder idea?

    ReplyDelete