Sunday 10 January 2010

New home, Secret Santa and Snow

Hasn't it been exciting? For the first time in yonks we in the very South East corner of the country have finally had heavy snow !!! I have to say here that when everybody else in the country was moaning about how wet it was in the summer, we had a lovely sunny summer for most of the time. We tend to have totally different weather to everybody else and that's just our little bit. For instance, when the snow started for most of the country in December we didn't get any. When people were sending in photos of huge drifts and snowbound cars to the TV stations, we had a dribble of snow on the hills. But now we've got snow everywhere - and the college Ivan works for has shut and Amber's school has shut ..... but poor Alex's school doggedly stays open and the Council I work for insists that everybody must make every effort to go to work as the work we do affects the lives of the public :( So no duvet days for me unless it snows so hard there's no way of getting the car out or the buses stop running.

We are fairly settled into our new home now. Still the odd box to unpack and various items have gone missing - but I've got my craft cupboard under the stairs sorted now so that I can easily access all my yarn so that's me sorted :)

Still got to get my Wii unpacked and set up. I'll probably wait until the horrible duo are in bed tonight.

And my Secret Santa - thank you Barbara so very, very much. The hat and gloves have been totally invaluable in this awful weather and I so can't wait to use the other goodies in the box.



These stitch markers are beautiful and will come in very useful when I start sock knitting as that's one of my unofficial resolutions for 2010. To knit myself some scrummy yummy socks.



I've had a go at beadwork previously, but never making jewelry. I've made a beaded needle pot and a beaded swan hanging thingie, but never a necklace, So I'm really looking forward to making this and whenever I wear it I'll always remember where it came from. Things like this are so much more special, I think. Whenever I look at my dragons (I collect dragons) I can remember where each one came from if they were bought for special occasions. Especially the ones that were given as presents or bought on holiday. Visual reminders of great times.



A yummy chocolate reindeer and from Hotel Chocolat as well - the handmade chocolate tasting box company - I'm in heaven. I've had their tasting boxes in the past and they are sooooo wonderful. I'm saving this for a warm evening in front of a great film with the kids firmly fast asleep.










The fingerless gloves that have already seen a great deal of use. Can't find the hat at the moment - it's in one of the boxes left to be unpacked. I shall have to do a hat hunt later so I can wear it to work tomorrow. I especially love the twisted stitch detail that runs up the glove and around the thumb - looks very elegant.












Nude Ewe 100% wool double knit and it's so totally gorgeous and huggable. Not sure what I'm going to make with this yet but I can tell you it's going to be something luxurious for me as I know I will appreciate and look after it. That's the only problem with knitting things for others I think, is how well they will care for it. I made the scarf for Sarah because I know she will care for it properly. But to be honest, when I'm knitting for the kids or family I do tend to use the cheaper yarns that won't break my heart too much when they end up covered in mud or oil (brother has his own garage)











Oh my gosh this Fybrespates yarn is just so wonderful and the pattern to go with it, the dropped stitch shawl - I am definitely going to be casting this on very shortly now that I've found my knitting needles. I just love the colour and the pattern.

Barbara, I can't thank you enough for all of this. It's as if you've looked into my mind and found everything that makes me tick and brought it to life. I feel myself so lucky to have found such wonderful new friends - I've quite forgiven HipKnits as their awful customer care has led to this. I still won't be buying anything off them though :)

Anyway, I've also joined Debbie Abrahams secret blanket club and I've received the first parcel and cast on the first square. She gives alternatives for some of the squares but I am determined to knit the originals all the way through. I'll post them on my blog as I finish them and when I remember !! :)

Anyway Happy New Year to all of you - thankyou for being such brilliant friends and bloggers and here's to a blogging 2010. Let's keep it going :)

2 comments:

  1. Pst, I think your secret santa was Allison not Barbara. Glad to have you back again and I promise to take good care of my scarf (I have needed it in this weather). I love the pattern and the colour is my favourite. Thank you again for a lovely box of goodies. Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gods you're right - so sorry Allison I've a memory like a colander at the moment - well all of the time actually. But how could I have forgotten the A at the bottom of the lovely card that came with it.

    ReplyDelete