Thursday 25 February 2010

Spring has sprung a leak ...

and the local Napoleonic canal has burst its banks because some twit has forgotten to open the sluice gates to let the excess out. It's really strange seeing the trees at the side standing in the water :)

I've finally plucked up the courage to start a weight loss and healthy eating club at work - and I was amazed at how many people have expressed an interest already. Even more so as some of those who expressed an interest do not have weight problems specifically, but were very interested in the healthy eating part. We are lucky at our council, because they employ an Environmental Educational Officer in the form of a lovely lady called Alison Wood. She runs all sorts of health schemes in the council and out in the district, including cheap vegetable schemes for local schools and what have you. She has been working with me for some time because of my ongoing health problems, and when I mooted the idea of the club she promised to give us a talk on healthy eating along with various leaflets and tools to help us make informed choices. She is really enthusiastic about the subject and manages to enthuse everyone she meets with the same enthusiasm.

I've also found a fitness expert at work, who's agreed to give a talk, and a lady who is a qualified aromatherapist and reflexologist who has agreed to give a talk. And that's all in three days !!!!

I am also hoping to be able to give a talk myself, on the benefits of learning to knit and crochet - as we well know there is nothing more relaxing and stress busting than messing with lovely yarns. And I do think that knitters tend to be the most generous and kind people around.

After my 12 days off work dying of various infections, I feel on top of the world again. The last lot of antibiotics were lump hammer strength and certainly have sorted me and my unwanted bugs out :)

My dining table has disappeared under all the knitting and other projects I've got going at the moment. I've just finished the fourth out of five blanket squares for February and am ready to cast on number five. Have to get a move on with that as the others will be here soon. I've still got my own design scarf sitting there waiting to be finished - think that one is going to get onto etsy or folksy next winter somehow. Somewhere there's a box of blanket squares to be knitted for another project, and a cardigan for me ..... I've also done the back and am on the left front of a dinosaur jacket for Alex - which is knitted in Freedom spirit 100% wool and will be felted before sewing up - so I hope the dratted thing doesn't felt too small or I will cry. By the way does anybody know how to prevent the edges from rolling over and felting to themselves?

I've also got my C&G module 2 work on the table - doing the colour work bit at the moment and loving it - making mess with paints is not just for five year olds :)

Talking of five year olds poor Alex has got four bad teeth - two need to be filled and two pulled - and the dentist has referred him to somewhere else as she says they can't do him in the chair as he needs to be put out for it !!! Then she said it could be up to six months before we get an appointment. I hope not, poor little chap has been having terrible toothache and we have to keep dosing him with Calpol. I feel really guilty as I know I haven't pushed him as hard as I should have to look after his teeth - but his Dad has bad teeth and apparently it's hereditary. On the upside he's a lot more keen to brush his teeth regularly now.

And it's now getting on for 11.20pm and I've got work in the morning - can't burn the candle at both ends like I used to be able to, so night night everyone and let's keep talking :)

2 comments:

  1. Gosh you have tons of projects on the go, glad I am not the only one!

    Good luck with the healthy eating - I know that I need to loose some weight as my clothes are too tight but sadly it is comfort food weather - I blame the cold and snow (of course not me for eating the large box of chocs I got for valentines day)!

    I was wondering about the lovely scarf you made me for christmas - what pattern did you use as was so pretty (and I think Lottie has her eye on it) so was thinking about a theft preventative measure if you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah ha - actually it came out of Nicky Epstein's Dazzling Scarfs book which was given to me for Christmas by my lovely OH. There's some amazing patterns in there and one or two that aren't quite so amazing :)

    ReplyDelete