Monday 15 March 2010

HipKnits

Well, I thought I'd give HipKnits the benefit of the doubt and order some silk aran yarn from them as I wanted a bright yellow and they had a yellow through to Orange that I loved the look of.

Got the yarn quickly, and indeed it did look good - then I unraveled it to put it on the swift. Immediately I noticed that the yarn was crinkled and tangled - obviously hadn't been hung properly whilst drying. It only had two ties on it and not in figure of eight.

The first skein wound off slowly as I untangled the tangles along the way. But the second sken was appalling. It consisted basically of a lot of short lengths of silk knotted together - I got several very small balls of yarn from that - and it was badly tangled. The last skein was whole but so badly tangled it took me nearly an hour to untangle it and wind it off. I wouldn't have been able to do it without the swift.

I am definitely NOT buying any more yarn from HipKnits - they still haven't learned how to provide good service.

4 comments:

  1. Oh that's disappointing - you were brave though! I know when I did buy from them I used to get terrible 'cat balls' (as my son calls them!) In fact, is was because of this that I bought a swift but it never did help in Hipknits case. I always thought it was just me!! You should give Fyberspates a go - Jeni is lovely and she'll custom dye at no extra cost if you want a specific colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I were you I would send it back.It's just not good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've wound it off so I'll keep it but I have left them some very hard hitting feedback on their site - and told them I won't be buying from them anymore. I will try Fyberspates - sounds like the antithesis to HipKnits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not had a nicely wound skein from them ever and don't buy from them since our shared experience. I shop at the Natural dye studio, violet green and Posh yarn these days - must try fyberspates.

    ReplyDelete