Monday 18 May 2009

Happy new blog

OK, this is a big deal for me as I've been too lazy to set up a blog before. But now I've started up the second round of our box swap it makes sense to have somewhere to show off our choices. Although as I'm starting it, it means that I'll have to wait til last. Something to look forward to though. I love this kind of thing, like a child waiting for Christmas.

I've had a rough time since February so need some fun. I had a large abcess at the very top of my thigh, too close for comfort too my lady bits :). That was cut out under anaesthetic, and is still being packed and dressed twice daily by the district nurses, who are a wonderful lot. As I'm also a diabetic, the would is taking ages to heal. So I'm on a phased return to work, which means I do five hours on Monday, Wedsnesday and Friday at the moment, and I have to go visit Occupation Health every fortnight for an update.

However, I'm a firm believer in silver linings, and this particular silver lining is the opportunity to knit more. I'm supposed to rest my leg so ideal to slob onto the settee and knit. I keep all my WIPs in various bags strewn around my living room :) which also doubles up as playroom for four year old Alex and computer room for my other half. I also have a 15 year old strop, sorry, daughter, who spends most of her time in her room killing aliens on the PS2 or killing cats on her violin. (Actually that's not really fair as she's making very good progress with her violin lessons even though she keeps saying she's fed up of it)

So the box is coming together slowly as I mentally winnow through my stash. I'll physically winnow through it tomorrow. I'm still waiting for a few answers to my original email, inviting everyone back for the swap, but if I don't hear anything by Thursday I'll send it out. We can always add in late swappers later.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogland Claire! Look forward to seeing your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI. This is my first go at blogging.I wanted to join up with the "box swap" people.Hope to work out how to do photos etc soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Claire! Welcome on board!! Sorry to hear about your abcess, but what an opportunity to get on with your knitting! I sympathise on the 15 year old front. I have one too but mine's a boy. He has recently lost the power of conversation and grunts in reply to everything or shouts 'WOT?!' at the top of his voice as he can't hear a word you say past his headphones. Oh the joys of being a parent .....

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kind of value should we be aimimg for in the box?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me explain what is happening here for busybusybeejay.

    Last year a group of us joined a project club which turned into a nightmare of no yarn and no refunds. We got together to sort this out, and then decided to cheer ourselves up by having a box swap.

    One of us starts off the box by putting in it six things from our stashes or other interests and posting it off to one of the others on the list. They then take out three of the items and put three back in the box from their stash/hobbies. Then they take one of the envelopes out of the box and send it on to the person who's name and address is in the envelope. This way nobody knows who is going to get the box next.

    The rules are that no one knows what is in the box to begin with, but when you've taken your three you can either put the photo or just tell us what you've got without revealing what is left in the box. Last person to have it takes and adds their three items and sends it back to me.

    If you are interested in this kind of swap busybusybeejay, can you email me your name and address and I'll add you to the envelopes in the box. You'll need to let me know tonight or tomorrow as the box is going off in the post to the first recipient on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Claire, saw your comment about socks - fitting is not a problem we can adjust things to fit! Take a look at the pattern it should give some dimensions and you can adjust things if needs be. Let me know if you need any advice there are alot of us sock knitters around! There was some sock yarn in the swap box when it came to you - if you still have it. Let me know if I can help at all, S.

    ReplyDelete